Barn Board Mirror




Looking at my upper barn door that I made a couple years ago gave me the inspiration for a mirror. I used plexiglass in the door but will use a 12" square mirror (only $2 at our Dollar Store) for this project.




For the wood I'm using old barn board that actually came from this barn when I redid the upper loft section a few years ago.  Of course my husband thought I was nuts to keep the wood, but it had character and was 1" thick, so I stacked it up in the loft to await the day I figured out what to use it for.  

I left all the worm holes, although I cleaned them out thoroughly.  I slightly sanded the wood to clean it up a bit, but tried not to get rid of the character.  I even left the angled bottom and top, although that's hard to see in the photos.

The first thing I did was make a dado across the bottom of my four boards that was the thickness of the cross piece. This way the cross piece (shelf) will sit into the groove and there will be less chance of anything twisting.





 Here you can see the dado across all the boards:



and here is the cross piece/shelf sitting in the dado:


I left about 1/8" spacing between the boards and screwed them in from the back:





 In order to frame the mirror I cut up some barn board into 1" square pieces with 45 deg. ends and long enough to frame the mirror.
I took off the thickness of the mirror plus about 1/16" from the inside edge of the frame, this way the mirror sits half under the frame.  

These are the four frame pieces:






I screwed on a top 1" x 1" cross piece from the back as well as the mirror frame:




 This is a very heavy piece, it measures 23 1/4"  across and is 30" tall.


 I'm showing this at the following parties:

Knick of Time

Under the Table and Dreaming 
Cottage Instincts
Blue Cricket Design
It's So Very Cheri

Tools are for Women Too




Everything I make is for sale, so if you see something you like, please contact me.

Labels: , ,