How to Make "EAT" Letters From Pallet Wood


There are "EAT" letters all over the internet, in blogs and for sale at decor sites.  I decided to use some pallet wood to make my own... very easy to do!

I had rough pallet wood that was 2 7/8" wide that I felt would be a good width for letters. To determine what size my letters would be I simply laid down three of the pieces horizontally with some space between.  This helped me to see that with the slats being 2 7/8" wide, the "E" should be 10 1/2" high.  I then laid another piece vertically beside the horizontal pieces and figured out what width the "E" should be to look correct. The "E" is 8 1/2" wide:


Of course all letters need to be the same height, but not necessarily the same width.  Because the "A" has it's sides on an angle, the "A" (as in most fonts) will be wider than the "E".  I set up some scrap slats to get a height of 10 1/2" to match the "E" and came up with a visually pleasing width of 11" wide for the "A":


The "T" follows easily, also the same 10 1/2" high, it looked best to me at 8 3/4" wide:


I cut some thin MDF with my jigsaw, for backing for each letter. I made it about 1/2" smaller all around each letter and then glued and pin nailed from the back:

I painted the letters edges only with white and then the fronts with turquoise.  I sanded over each letter to give a distressed look.



Very easy to make, only a few cuts and you could make any letters this way! A child's name? Something for Christmas or a wedding... anything!




Sharing at the following blogs:
Funky Junk Interiors
Rooted in Thyme
Shabby Art Boutique
Too Much Time on My Hands
French Country Cottage
My Repurposed Life
DIY Vintage Chic

Proudly featured at:    DIY Vintage Chic   and My Repurposed Life
                   DIY Vintage Chic         Photobucket

Labels: ,