Thursday, April 20, 2017

Another Whale

Hers's another whale I made, it is the same shape as the whale I shared the other day HERE . This time I used a very old piece of wood 36" long by a full 11 1/2" wide. I call this a reverse cut out since I use the outside or background of the shape. I don't know if that is the technical term for it, maybe I just made that up?

On the back are separate strips of thin plywood painted in different beachy colours.


It is made in the same style as my mermaid 


The mermaid is SOLD but the whale is in my shop along with other designs.

Sharing at:

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Barnboard Whale

As you probably know, I live on an island and I like to include island-themed pieces in my shop. I've made lobsters, mermaids and fish. A few weeks ago I cut a whale shape out of an old piece of barn board, it's 24" long.

cut out whale 

It sat in my shop for awhile and I felt it needed something extra.

So I found an old bed spindle in my pile of wood parts, and a piece of driftwood from a local beach. I ran the driftwood over my jointer until I got a good stable base. Then I drilled one hole in the bottom of the whale and another in the top of the driftwood base. I glued in the spindle after cutting it to length.

Tada... a whale on a stick!


or should I call it a rustic whale weathervane?

I found this online, it sold for $1250.00


I wonder if I could charge that for mine?

Sharing at:

Sunday, April 16, 2017

New Roof for the Shop

Last fall we decided we had better put a new roof on the shop before we experienced a big roof leak. When we bought the house we knew the shingles were in terrible condition and would have to be replaced.

The roof was done in sections to prevent the chance of rain getting through to the interior. The roofers started at the front.
Once the shingles were removed, we could see there were huge gaps in the planks the shingles were fastened to. This place is about 100 years old so these were likely the original roof boards. The roofer needed to put plywood over the old boards, so that they had something to actually nail the new shingles to. Of course this was the right thing to do but greatly increased the cost of the project!

The side roof of the shop had newer brown shingles on it but when they were removed, again, the planks underneath were in terrible shape.

   So plywood went on here as well and then the shingles.

Lastly the back was finished... yes more plywood!


The reason this post took so long was that I never got the "after" photos taken before the snow fell. I just took them about a month ago when there was still a little snow around.


The roofers did an excellent job, didn't cut any corners and cleaned up quite well. BUT it did cost us a small fortune to have this done!


Sunday, April 2, 2017


For those of you following my blog, you'll know that I often decorate the outside of my shop. I've had fall leaves, a witch, a scarecrow, and Christmas ornaments. 

Our small town of O'Leary, PEI was in the running to be declared Hockeyville, given to a place each year that shows the spirit and passion of hockey. So to be part of the growing town spirit, I created some large hockey sticks out of plywood and stained and painted them. Two are large and placed on the front of my shop. The other three are smaller and hang from my tree, where I often hang things in hopes of attracting drivers passing by!



Well, our town won, which means we get $100,000 for upgrades for our hockey arena and we also get to host an NHL pre-season game next fall!